Friday, February 21, 2014

Balance

I value balance.

Proportion. Moderation in all things. Harmony.

I have numerous examples. Food, for instance. I see so many people go to extremes. You've got the one end--people who eat fast food, microwave dinners, and processed foods almost exclusively. But you've got the other end--people who are so determined to eat healthy that they deny their taste buds any pleasure whatsoever. Most people fall somewhere in between, with various justifications for their choices

Work is easy to get out of balance. You've got workaholics--those who work a ton, but even when they're not AT work, they're still thinking about it. And you've got those who avoid work like the plague, who try to get away with as little work as possible. And everything in between. For some it's a passion, for some it's a chore.

Facebook is another area where I see a lot of imbalance. Do you ever scroll through people's Facebook profiles? (I'm kinda a FB stalker sometimes.) You'll see people who incessantly post complaints. You've got people whose profiles are like billboards for companies, products, or ideas that they are obsessed over. There are people who seem to repost every single thing that they find even slightly amusing. You've got the photo people, the ones who post an absurd amount of photos, usually on a theme, whether it's food, or their kid, or their cat, what have you. And you've got people who never post anything at all.

Balance.

I find that when I get wrapped up in any one thing, I suffer. If I get too wrapped up in work, my social life suffers. If I get too wrapped up with healthy eating, I don't feel as satisfied with life. If I post too much about one thing on Facebook, I find that I am boring or annoying to others. If I get too wrapped up in my own goals, I am less able to serve others.

When I am feeling stressed, bored, or dissatisfied in any way, after some study I usually find that some part of my life is out of balance. Don't get me wrong, I like excitement in my life. But my true happiness, my true contentment, comes when the important pieces of my world are all in harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment