Monday, May 13, 2013

A Sensitive Topic: Birth Control

I read something last night that deeply bothered me. Truth be told, this one thing, in combination with a handful of other things, sent my emotions and my thoughts cartwheeling out of control for several hours last night. Fortunately, I have both a loving husband and a loving Heavenly Father, both of whom helped me overcome the confounding of my mind. Some of the insight I gained is much too personal to share. But this one thing, I feel compelled to address.

It was while reading the blog of someone close to me, someone whose writing and whose conversation I generally enjoy (if not always agree with). In one of her posts, while talking about the evils of the modern world that must be avoided, and which we must teach our children to abhor, she included birth control. She in fact listed it among the greatest evils of the world today, citing birth control as the devil's method of swaying men and women to disobey God's commandment to multiply and replenish the earth.

I was stung. I was offended. I was angry. But once most of the negative emotions had passed by, the strongest emotion I was left feeling was pity.

Pity, you say? I don't quite get that one. Why would you feel pity for someone who thinks birth control is evil?

It comes down to the nature of sex. If one believed that sex was entirely for the purpose of procreation, I could understand viewing birth control as evil--or at least misguided. But sex, in its proper time and place, is so much more. 

According to the LDS Church Handbook 2: Administering the Church(2010), "Married couples should also understand that sexual relations within marriage are divinely approved not only for the purpose of procreation, but also as a way of expressing love and strengthening emotional and spiritual bonds between husband and wife."

Someone who believes birth control is evil does not have a clear understanding of this principle. I'm not referring to any one form of birth control--I'm referring to any method that lets a couple take control of timing, with regards to the conception of their children.

Not all couples are intended to have large amounts of children. Not all couples are cut out to have large amounts of children! Quoting the Handbook again, "The decision as to how many children to have and when to have them is extremely intimate and private and should be left between the couple and the Lord."

One of my best friends, before she married, intended to have a dozen children or so. Five years later, she has two daughters, and she may not have any more. And that is right.

I really liked this quote: "The decision of how many children to have and when is between the couple and the Lord and should be done prayerfully.  The health of the mother can certainly be considered as well as her mental health."

With regards to my best friend, I really believe that her mental health would be at terrible risk if she had many more children. I'm not part of their family, so I can't say for sure. But I do know this: She and her husband are being guided by the Lord as to what is right for them, and their family.

Here's my question: if they receive revelation that they are to have no more children, does that mean their intimate relations are at an end? With no more babies coming to them, does that mean they should never have sex again? It's absurd to consider! The previous quote continues:

"Contrary to popular belief, we are not taught to have as many babies as humanly possible or to never use birth control... Furthermore, we should avoid judging those who have no children or put it off for a while as we have no idea what their struggles may be, and vice versa." (emphasis added)

The long and the short of it is this: Be careful before passing judgment, on people or on concepts. Do your research, and try to be empathetic toward others. Understand that everyone has different circumstances, and just because someone does not subscribe to your way of doing things, does not mean they are wrong, misguided, or evil.

4 comments:

  1. Valerie,
    I thank you for writing this post, I am struck by your honesty and openness to the Lord's will. This is indeed a sensitive topic.
    I respectfully disagree with the position you've presented. You've used the same paper tiger argument that my most atheist liberal friends have used: No birth control = 20 kids. Well let me tell you, I personally know plenty of couples who are in ABC-free marriages and have few children. The first commandment from our Heavenly Father: Be fruitful and multiply. Of course that doesn't mean it's His will that everybody have children. But God created us in our entirety, including our fertility. To use drugs or devices to "medicate" a perfectly healthy woman is actually quite absurd. And to shut God out from his role in the marital act, to me is just perverse.
    Artificial birth control has been around for thousands of years. Until recently, nearly all Christians rejected its use, and for good reason. I pray that you are still open-minded on this issue and keep reading and praying, and I would suggest you please take a good look at "Humanae Vitae" and http://tiny.cc/5kd1ww
    I have many other resources if you're interested, I just don't want to spam you with links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the thoughts that you have shared. I want to reply to just a couple of the things that you said, in the hope of further explicating my point of view.

    1. Just like you know many couples who have few children without birth control, I also know many couples whose health--mental and physical, sometimes both--is severely affected by pregnancy, menstruation, and medically-diagnosed post-partum issues, including the friend who I mentioned in my post. I do believe that pregnancy is directed by our Father in Heaven, but I also believe that, like any medical condition, these pregnancy-related issues have been blessed by modern developments in medicine--blessings I attribute to the inspiration of God. I don't believe in putting off children for selfish reasons, or even waiting for "financial stability" which I believe to be a farce. But I DO believe that birth control--in it's many forms, including Natural Family Planning--CAN be acceptable in the sight of God, when used following HIS directive. But, like everything I've said, that is simply my belief, as I have prayed about it, read Church guidelines on the matter, and sought revelation alongside my husband.

    2. I would reference again the Church Handbook: "The decision as to how many children to have and when to have them is extremely intimate and private and should be left between the couple and the Lord."

    I'm struck by the "and when". Perhaps it is only my interpretation of this guideline, but to me, the "and when" gives us the freedom to choose--as guided by the Lord. HE gave us agency, and I think the matter of choosing when to have children is something that each couple gets to choose, as guided by Him. Perhaps for some families, birth control is not appropriate. Perhaps for some families, using birth control goes against the will of the Lord. But I do not believe it to be the case for all families.

    3. I do not believe that utilizing birth control (in any form) necessarily shuts God out from his role in the marital act, as you claim. In fact, on a personal note, my husband and I have been extremely prayerful in this matter. We have been very careful to consult the Lord with regards to birth control and starting our family, and have been inspired, since early in our engagement, that this was the course the Lord wanted us to follow. I do not, and would never, claim that our way is right for everyone. But I can testify that it is right for us.

    Again, I thank you for your thoughts. Please know that my reply, just like my post, is intended with respect, despite our difference in opinion.

    Best wishes,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a different note(that I didn't want to post on FB) I agree with you so deeply about the saddness for another who feels that sexual relations with a spouse are only for procreation. I think too often as an LDS society there is such an avoidance of sex, the talk of sex and everything associated, that once couples are married they struggle sexually and yet through everything that life throws at you the bond that is developed and maintained through an intimate relationship with a spouse gives such strength and assurance in your companionship it should never be considered for just procreation. Yet with the joy and miracle of children their IS a proper time for many, due to health, physically and mental or any other reason. But to be timid in your sexual relations to prevent having children because of the lack of birth control is sadening. I appreicate your courage to share your honest opinion and hope that others may see there should be no judgement in the Lord's plan for it is not our place and each couple's plan is truly individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah,
      Thanks for your comment. You've hit the nail on the head--my strongest belief, regardless of everything else, is that there should be no judgment of others with regards to something that is, and should be, individual to each couple.
      I really appreciate your thoughts!
      ~Valerie

      Delete