Sunday, October 18, 2015

NICU Day 3 / Transition

To my surprise and delight, when I went into the NICU at 8am on Thursday morning, I found Xander off oxygen and IV fluids. The nurse had taken him off about an hour before, and he was doing great!


James came to the hospital shortly thereafter. We were told that if Xander continued to do well off oxygen and IV fluids, that he would probably be transferred out of the NICU and into the regular pediatrics unit, where he could finish his 7-day course of antibiotics. After visiting with Xander for awhile that morning, James took me home for a few hours to refresh and spend some time with Joel.

Side bar: Last Saturday, partially as a diversion from STILL being pregnant, and partially as something we'd already been planning to do, we went to For Garden's Sake (a charming nursery that we fell in love with this summer) to pick out a shade tree for our yard. We fell in love with this Shumard Oak, which James planted on Thursday afternoon.



While at home, we got the call we'd been hoping for--Xander had been moved to pediatrics! Yay! We finished with the tree, then returned to the hospital.

Unfortunately, it seemed that the move had upset the stability Xander had achieved in the NICU. We were pretty disappointed to find him back on oxygen support by the time we arrived.


Still, the children's unit was a HUGE improvement, especially when it came to OUR comfort. Xander had a large private room, with a bathroom and shower, and a pull-out couch. Also, the policy for visitors was much more relaxed. In the NICU, only 2 visitors were allowed at a time, which had made it virtually impossible for Joel to come. So we planned for Joel to visit the next day.

James had planned on sleeping at our house that night, while I spent the night with Xander. But I'll be honest, I had a total emotional breakdown that night. I think the weight of everything happening, plus the postpartum hormones hitting me, contributed to me becoming a weepy mess. So James ended up driving all the way back to spend the night with me. I have the best husband in the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment