Friday, October 16, 2015

Birth story: Baby X

I thought I had it bad with Joel, who was born a week late. I tried to prepare myself for Baby X to come late. I had my mother schedule her flight out six days after his due date, knowing it was likely. But in spite of all my "preparations," I grew more and more disheartened as I passed 40 weeks. My mother arrived, and still no baby. 41 weeks, still no baby, and no signs of labor. My midwives started preparing me for a possible induction at 42 weeks, which was NOT what I wanted. Needless to say, there were many prayers and tears over the past few weeks!

After nothing and more nothing, I finally started having some contractions on Sunday evening. They were sporadic and light, but they were something. Monday morning, October 12th, the contractions started to seem a bit more promising. I had a non-stress test scheduled at noon, to check the baby's heartrate and make sure he was doing well. I figured if my contractions progressed, I'd get checked while we were there. When it came time to go, James and I went ahead and packed up the bag with my labor supplies and the infant car seat--just in case.

We headed to the birth center--the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill. The NST took FOREVER. I was hooked up to the monitors for nearly two hours. (The test is supposed to be 20 minutes.) First of all, Xander was a wiggly monster. Secondly the nurse couldn't get him to react well to stimuli, which is one of the major things that determines his well being. I know it was necessary, but it was still majorly frustrating! Especially because I was having contractions the entire time.

We visited briefly with the on call midwife, who gave us some options. We decided to go get some lunch--we were starving!--and then come back to get checked. It was about 2:30pm when we got back to the birth center. The midwife, Allison, checked my cervix. To my utter astonishment, she announced that I was dilated to 7-8cm and had bulging waters! James and I were totally stunned, but elated that I was having a baby at last. I was admitted and we got settled into our birthing suite.


We went for a couple of walks around the grounds, then labored in the tub for awhile. The contractions stayed pretty consistent, getting a bit stronger. It was about 5pm when I requested another cervical check. It's not routine for them to check, but I wanted to know if I was progressing, to be able to pace myself. Allison determined that the baby's head had dropped a fair bit, but I was still at about 8cm. That was a little disheartening. She suggested changing positions--all fours, or on my knees over the edge of the tub--to help him move into position.

So we kept working. James and I were left mostly to our devices, except for a nurse coming in every half hour to check the baby's heartbeat. It was not quite what I had expected, but I actually rather liked it. It might have been different if this was my first delivery. But James and I knew what to do, and it was nice to just do it, the two of us. I labored all over the place--multiple positions in the tub, leaning on James, standing and bracing on the sink, and later others. I loved the freedom to do what my body wanted to do.

I think it was just before 8pm when I had James bring Allison in. She watched me through a contraction standing, then suggested I try the birthing stool. I had never used one before. It really increased the sense of pressure. I labored there for awhile. When things got more intense, Allison suggested moving to either the pool or the bed--she wanted a gravity-neutral position for the next part of my labor, in the hope of avoiding tearing like I had done previously. So I moved back to the tub.

Contractions got much more intense. I didn't actually feel the urge to push. I felt pressure, but nothing like the urge to bear down like I remember feeling with Joel. But it felt like time, so I just started trying to push, to see what happened. And it was definitely time!

Pushing took what felt like ages. Xander was positioned at an odd angle, so I had to change my position several times. My water broke there in the tub. Shifting during that part was agonizing. The worst was when Allison said she wanted me to get out of the tub and move to all fours on the bed. At several points along the way to the bed, that seemed like an impossible request. For several contractions I stood at the edge of the bed. I thought my legs were going to give out! He crowned there; Allison suggested lying on the edge of the bed, saying that movement would probably pop him out. She wasn't far off. I lurched rather awkwardly onto my side. Lying on the corner of the bed with one leg up in the air, I gave two more pushes and out he came!


His cord was very short--they could only get him to my tummy, I could only see the top of his head. They ended up having James cut his cord right away so we could move. But while still in my awkward edge-of-the-bed position, I suddenly expelled about a pint of blood. James was a bit alarmed! Apparently it was just the result of my placenta shedding, and the placenta itself soon followed. But I hardly noticed most of that, because I was enraptured by my beautiful baby!

That full head of dark hair makes me so happy. He's got long Holley fingers and toes. Of course his size was immediately noticeable--a little while after the birth, they took his measurements, which were astonishing--9lbs 15oz, 22 inches long, 15.75" head circumference. The best part was hearing that I pushed out a baby just shy of 10 pounds with NO TEARING. Hallelujah! And I can tell you, there is a world of difference in how I feel postpartum.

We got settled in. James went and got us a pizza. Xander nursed for the first time. Once we were all cleaned up, measured, fed and squared away, we attempted to get some sleep.

Unfortunately, that's where things went downhill. But that story shall continue in another post. I would like to remember my triumphant delivery of Alexander Lee Holley independently of what followed. It was a wonderful, empowering birth.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment