Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Family = Amazing

Today I am grateful for family.

When I really stop and consider my family, I start to feel a little overwhelmed. My family (immediate, in-law, extended) is amazing. They do so much for me, sometimes intentionally, sometimes just by being the people they are. There are so many aspects to my family, my relationships with them, and why they are so awesome.

My family is with me in times of celebration. On Sunday, the Holley clan gathered to celebrate the birthday of our nephew Brendan, who just turned 3. After dinner, cake, and presents, a few of us stuck around to play games, and we had a blast.

Tomorrow night, James and I are joining my parents for my father's commencement: at the age of 57, he's graduating with his bachelor's degree. I couldn't be more proud of him, and I can't wait to celebrate his achievements with him.

My family sticks together in times of trial. Whenever I go through a challenge, I know that I can count on my family for their love and support. I do my best to be that same balm to them. Regardless, I know that they truly care about me, and I most certainly care about them, each and every one of them.

My family share in adventure, aka LIFE. Right now, my brother- and sister-in-law are apartment-hunting, and I love hearing about their findings, and sharing my thoughts. My sister Samantha recently had a baby, and I love-love-love seeing pictures (I only wish I got to see them more in person!) I loved taking family photos with the Mechlings, and visiting with my brother the next day. I love teasing my brothers-in-law, and so enjoy their company.

My family shares times of joy. This evening, James and I attended the temple with Patrick & Shaylee. We stood in proxy for Holley relatives as they were sealed. The names were provided for us by my dear mother-in-law, and I was so grateful. Up until the last few months, I had never done family names before. It has really impacted my temple experience, particularly tonight.

My family is eternal. This principle is a major part of my testimony in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the reason my experience at the temple this evening was so very profound. I get to be with these people forever. It changes the way I perceive them. It makes me invest more in my relationships with them. As I performed sealing ordinances in behalf of my relatives (in law), I felt such an incredible joy--because they were my family, the ancestors of my children. I am connected to them, as my posterity will be connected to me. I get to be with my husband forever, along with these wonderful people we have the joyous opportunity to know and love during our time on this earth.

I love my family. I am grateful for them. I am blessed by them. I hope to be as good to them as they are to me.


1 comment:

  1. :) :) :) :) Um, ditto. And, Valerie you are amazing. Thank you for sharing your light and life with me. :)

    ReplyDelete