Thursday, December 27, 2012

Part 2: First - Second Dates

{James' point of view}

Finally, September 7th arrived, and it was time for me to pick up Valerie. I found her place with relative ease, but because I was 15 minutes early, I parked around the corner for 10 minutes before actually knocking on her door. Yes, I am one of those people. Anyways, I knocked on the door, and out she came, looking as pretty as they come. As we drove to Mimi's Restaurant and waited there for a table, the conversation didn't flow quite as easily as it had before, but we soon fell into an excellent conversational comfort zone, and I found the time flying by. There were two events of note on our first date in my mind: The first was when we fashioned each other's names out of straw wrappings; and the second was when I was detailing to her my dislike for people in general. She then asked me if I disliked all people. I'm not entirely sure what possessed me, but I responded by resting my hand on hers for a moment and saying, "No, not all people." Much more bold than I usually am, but I don't think either of us would've complained.

After dinner, we went for ice cream at Baskin Robbins, and we talked in the parking lot as we ate. I really didn't want our date to end so soon, so I was trying to keep the conversation going as well as I could. After a while of this, Valerie suddenly asks me if I would like to go back to her place and chat for a while. Of course I said yes! As far as what we actually talked about there, I don't recall much, but I do distinctly remember her holding my hand on the pretense of examining the burns on it, and then me holding her in my arms after she unexpectedly threw herself into them whilst we sat on her couch. We sat like that for hours, just visiting and talking, and I also remember her telling me how very much she had wanted me to ask her out, and how she had even wished for such on a falling star! I was rather distressed when the time for us to part finally came, but part we did. I spent the rest of the weekend thinking about how the date had gone even better than I could have hoped, and I couldn't wait to see her again.

It turns out I saw her again the following day because she was teaching a seminar at our studio. I found it harder to focus on what she was teaching than I thought I would. Seeing as that was also her birthday, I took the opportunity to invite her to lunch at Zupa's, which she took me up on. We were both rather tired, and she had to go meet up with her parents, but I was still very glad for the chance I had to spend more time with her.

The following Monday after class, I had a practice and was thus unable to talk with Valerie at all. However, on my drive home, I noticed a text she had sent me asking me if I would like to come to her place for dinner. I eagerly responded yes, and drove over immediately. She turned out to be an excellent cook, and we had a lovely time talking as we had had before. Nothing more of import happened, but it was a remarkably pleasant way to spend the evening. We set up another date for that coming Saturday, and I spent the rest of the week in anticipation of that date. For the sake of honesty, every time I saw her that week at the studio, I looked for chances to talk with her.

Saturday came, and I picked her up and took her to Bombay House for dinner. Again, it seemed like one of the most natural things in the world to be there with her, talking and learning about her. For dessert and further conversation, I took her to Barnes and Noble after dinner. As we walked from the car towards the store, Valerie took me by the hand. The feeling of giddiness that came over me is indescribable! Barnes and Noble was unexpectedly lovely, partly for the fact I was holding Valerie's hand, and we went back to my apartment after Barnes and Noble to extend our time together. We spent a couple more hours together, and I learned so much more about her and felt more comfortable with her than I would have thought possible before our date. At some point during that evening, we had our first kiss, although I never could figure out how we got there. The feeling of holding her close as we enjoyed each other and talked was... Joyful. There is no other word or phrase that can describe how I felt that night with her in my arms. Taking her home was more difficult than it should have been, but I knew that this was the start of something remarkably special. If only I knew how special it would become in just over a week from then.

No comments:

Post a Comment