Sunday, January 26, 2014

Black Belt Testing Perspectives

Black Belt Testing is a huge deal at our studio. (As it is at most martial arts schools, I'm sure.) We hold BBT once a year, in January, and it is a very cumulative event. Though each of the Black Belt Candidates spend years training in preparation, the final six months prior to BBT is when the focus really narrows, and as things ramp up to January, things can get really intense.

We have an extensive curriculum. There are requirements for forms, kicks, kicking combinations, self defense, conditioning, board breaking, leadership, Korean terminology, service hours, a written report, meditation, sparring (or other specialty for higher ranks) and attendance in classes. Each candidate is required to pass off every item of curriculum prior to testing--and in order to pass off, they are held to a certain standard, which while individual to each student, is nonetheless quite high based on our personal assessment of their capabilities.

I've been teaching taekwondo for four and a half years, and each year at Black Belt Testing, I find myself a little overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions. This year was particularly sentimental for me.

The spread of candidates varies from year to year. Sometimes we have lots of "black recs" (ie 1st Gup, or Black Belt Recommended, those testing for their 1st degree) whereas sometimes we have a balance between black recs and black belts testing for higher degrees. Sometimes we have lots of adults, sometimes lots of kids, sometimes a balance.

This year we had three candidates for 4th degree and fifteen candidates for 1st degree. It was an interesting dichotomy. There were a fair number of teens and adults. But 10 of the candidates were in my childrens class, the most I've ever had at once. It presented some challenges at times! Trying to pass off curriculum for that many black recs, while still teaching the rest of the color belts in the class, has been a bit of a balancing act for the past six months. But I also feel like I have had more influence over this group of testers than I have ever had before, which has been fun in many ways.

I'll admit that this was a particularly special group, for me personally. Though I have a tender spot for each of my students, in this group of black recs I had several who "grew up" with me. It's the first Black Belt Testing where I've had students test for whom I have been their head instructor during every rank from white belt to black belt. These kids, whom I have taught from their most tender beginnings in martial arts, are particularly precious to me.

It's not just about teaching them to kick and punch, and it never has been, for me. There is so much more to be gained. For me, it's about showing kids that they are capable of anything that they are willing to work for. My goal is to teach each child that I work with confidence, belief in him- or herself, and to inspire a fiery determination within them to achieve their best. My goal is to push them beyond what is comfortable, and to show them my unwavering belief in their ability to do the so-called impossible.

I invest a lot in these kids. Even beyond my time, I put stock in them emotionally. I try to show every kid that I teach that they matter, that I care about them. Over time, it grows. So for this group of boys, whom I have worked with for years, whom I have invested in across every step of their black belt journey, I have a most profound affection. Put simply, I really love these kids.

I have seen them sweat (in many instances, I have been the cause of them doing so). I have seen most of them bruised or bleeding. I have seen several of them cry, whether from pain, or being overwhelmed or frustrated, or from strong emotion.

I have watched them grow. Their martial arts technique has refined and strengthened. I have watched them mature, learn to take responsibility for themselves, and step up to hard things. I have watched each of them face failure, and overcome it to achieve later success. I have watched several of them become leaders, reaching out to help others though there was no requirement to do so. I have watched all of them gain confidence and self assurance. They have grown, each of them, from little boys who were excited to be ninjas, into young men for whom there are no limits.

Last night, as I watched each of "my kids" step up to receive their black belt, I swelled with pride. Seeing their elation at this event, the culmination of all their efforts, was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. I am so happy for them, and to be honest, I can't wait to do it all over again with those who are coming next.


No comments:

Post a Comment