Monday, January 11, 2016

Bring on 2016

We are a little late this year with our traditional New Year's poster. What with our trip to Utah and then getting settled back in afterward, we waited until tonight's FHE to assemble our goals for the year.

Each year, James and I set individual goals, and we set goals for our family. We require our goals to be quantifiable--they have to be things that we can check off. We also try to create a mixture of mental, physical, and spiritual goals.

First, let's review the past year. Unfortunately, I threw out our 2015 poster before remembering to photograph it with the accomplishments checked off. But here's the photo from the beginning of our year:


We were about halfsies on our goals this year. James started law school, earned his 3rd Dan, and read 6 out of his intended 10 new books. As a family, we moved to Durham and went on a family camping trip. James and I went on a date every week, and met our temple attendance goal. As for me, I earned my 4th Dan, read 5 new books (+started a sixth) and learned to make sushi (simple rolls, at least). Plus had a baby!!

This year, I feel like our goals (mine, at least) are a bit more modest, and at the same time, a bit more realistic. I present our 2016 poster:


For James:
  • Obtain a 1L job (aka legal internship this summer)
  • Obtain a 2L job (for next summer)
  • Read 10 new books
  • Change oil in car
  • Read the Book of Mormon
  • Join a legal journal
For Valerie:
  • Referee at the NC State Championships
  • Read 5 new books
  • Create a photography portfolio, utilizing monthly blog posts
  • Read the Book of Mormon
  • Teach Joel the alphabet
  • Win NaNoWriMo (aka write 50,000 words)
For our family:
  • Family camping trip
  • Washington D.C. trip 
  • Donate 4 handmade blankets to a charity
  • Take Joel & Xander to the zoo
  • Go on a date every week
  •  Attend the temple at least thrice

It promises to be an interesting year! Candidly, the main focus of my life right now is my children. Mothering is a full-time job for me, so anything else I get done on the side is a major accomplishment. Still, I look forward to 2016. I can't wait to see what it offers us.

No comments:

Post a Comment