Saturday, November 22, 2014

Kitchen Tile!

When we bought our house, James and I decided that we would do one big home improvement project each year. Our project this year was renovating our back deck. We were planning to tile our kitchen next year. However, with the prospect of moving (and some extra income thanks to a job James got as a research assistant at BYU) we decided to tile the kitchen now, so that we could enjoy it for awhile before we head to law school.

I am fortunate to have a brother with mad skills. My brother Kyle learned how to tile years ago; he tiled the basement kitchen at my parents house. So we hired him to do our kitchen. Best. Decision. Ever.

BEFORE

The linoleum

It was not in the best shape
Here you can see the weird gap that was left between the linoleum and the carpet of the living room, we presume from the removal of that section of the wall.

THE PROCESS
Kyle helped me shop for the tile

Kyle and James attempting to remove the linoleum

Laying cement board

First wave of tile

More tile!


Kristi supervising her husband
Kyle and our dad working on the tricky spots

The edges coming together

The grout was such a mess!
We pulled off the mouldings before laying the tile. With the baby and everything else (such as my own discomfort with such things) I haven't gotten around to getting them put back on and painted. My parents, wonderful people that they are, came over today and put up the mouldings and finishing touches. They are the best! And so I present:

THE FINAL PRODUCT


We are so happy with how our kitchen has turned out! It is beautiful and pleasant. Kyle did an amazing job! And we're so grateful to my parents for their help. Happy Holley house!

No comments:

Post a Comment