Thursday, April 11, 2013

Life is good!

Last week was Spring Break at the studio. While James still had school, this still opened up a lot of free time for us both--of which we took full advantage!

On Monday we went for another test flight at the Discovery Space Center in American Fork. These test flights help the flight directors figure out what's working and what's not working, with regards to the controls as well as the stories. Unfortunately, this test flight wasn't nearly as exciting as our last one. But we still enjoyed the company!



That day, I also embarked on Camp NaNoWriMo. This is a 30-day writing challenge hosted by National Novel Writing Month. I am attempting to write 30,000 words of the third book in our trilogy, between April 1 and April 30. It's been slow going thus far, though I have been making steady progress. Goals always help me stay focused better, so I took on the challenge.

For family home evening that night, we put together our 72-hour kit. It's something I've wanted to have for awhile, and especially now that we're married, I wanted to have what was needed for both of us. I looked at a couple of different websites for ideas of what to put in our kit. For example, we did not put any bedding or things like that into our kit, although we did figure out a method for carrying our sleeping bags if we did happen to need them. We looked around at some water filtration options, but didn't find anything we liked within our budget. So we are storing 3 gallons of water alongside our kit, and going from there for now. We did include one spare set of clothing and undergarments, including socks. This is in addition to food, first aid, and other general supplies we pulled from the lists' suggestions. I felt a lot better about life once we had it all put together.


Tuesday was temple day. James got out of school at 2pm, and we drove up to the Draper Temple for a session. James had never been to Draper, and we both found it to be lovely. The woodwork in this temple is particularly beautiful. It was nice to have extra time to spend. Many of our temple trips are on a pretty tight schedule, stuffed in between school and the studio. Being on Spring Break allowed us to linger in the Celestial Room, which is always a powerful experience. Afterward we headed to Carrabba's for dinner. It's a personal favorite of ours, with several important occasions having taken place there.

That evening we took my ring in to get 're-dipped', a process that we were encouraged to have done every six months. Basically they recoat the metal of my engagement ring to make it all shiny again, as well as cleaning the whole thing. Unfortunately, this meant parting with my ring for two days, and after about ten minutes, I thought I was going to lose my mind. (I've gotten VERY accustomed to wearing it!) So James, dear that he is, bought me a substitute ring to wear while mine was gone. However, I'll tell you--totally worth it! My ring was SO much brighter when we got it back. I couldn't believe how much more the diamonds sparkled. We were very impressed.

On Friday, I donated blood--finally. I had attempted to donate blood alongside James several weeks ago, but was turned down due to my low hemoglobin. I was pleased to be accepted for donation this time around. However, my visit resulted in a rather terrible bruise on my arm! This is my bruise, six days later.

My students yesterday decided that I must have been battling with elephants! Of course, my boss (tongue-in-cheek) asked if my husband was abusing me. Either way, it's a pretty impressive bruise for a relatively low-key blood draw.

Over the weekend, James and I watched General Conference. To my surprise, my mother-in-law offered us her tickets to the Sunday morning session. I was delighted! For having lived in Utah pretty much my whole life, I have never actually attended a session of General Conference in the Conference Center. And it was lovely, sans the ticket-beggers and protesters (the former actually bothered me more than the latter, strangely enough). I was glad we got to attend Sunday morning in particular, because I have always loved listening to Music & the Spoken Word prior to that session, and it was even better live. So so so wonderful--as was conference as a whole! I felt spiritually recharged.

On Tuesday night, I decided to reenact one of my favorite childhood memories. Throughout my growing-up years, my mother would periodically make homemade pizza, which was almost always accompanied by homemade cinnamon rolls. I loved this meal, and on Tuesday I succumbed to a hankering for it. Thank goodness for a patient husband! We didn't eat until about 11:30pm that night. But I think he will agree that it was totally worth it! The pizza turned out great, as did the cinnamon rolls that followed! All from scratch.

This weekend, we are headed to Arches National Park for a little camping trip. This is our "spring break" getaway, and our first camping trip together. It's also our first chance to use the sleeping bags and tent that James' mother gave him for his birthday. We're super excited!

Life is good!


1 comment: